Blog: Congratulations to Dot Hill who celebrates its 100th patent.
In its 30th year of delivering storage innovations through OEMs and channel partners, Dot Hill has secured its 100th U.S. patent.
According to the ipCapital Group, in 2012 Dot Hill ranked first among companies for having the greatest number of U.S. patents per $100 million in storage revenue.
Eighty-four of Dot Hill’s one-hundred patents cover the company’s RAID controller and SAN-related technology, including RealTier, its autonomic real-time tiering software.
In addition to the 100 patents the company has secured, Dot Hill has 19 additional U.S. patent applications pending approval.
Originally co-founded as Artecon by Dana Kammersgard, president and CEO in 1984, Dot Hill has delivered a range of innovations over the last 30 years, including:
- 1997 – First thin provisioning drivers
- 1999 – First 1Gb Fibre Channel JBOD chassis
- 2002 – First 2u12 chassis with 3.5-inch drives and integrated controllers
- 2004 – First external storage system to use the SAS disk interface
- 2006 – First SAS/SATA external storage system device support
- 2010 – First hybrid Fibre Channel/iSCSI arrays
- 2010 – First 8Gb Fibre Channel array
- 2012 – First real-time tiering storage solution
- 2013 – First 16Gb Fibre Channel/10Gb iSCSI converged interface storage solutions
- 2014 – First ultra-density storage system with 48 drives in a 2u form factor
- 2014 – First NEBS Level 3 compliant high-density large form factor 56-drive array
Compare Dot Hill storage solutions
Trustco is an authorised UK Dot Hill reseller and can talk you through the latest developments in the AssuredSAN range.